Something to Dwell Upon

Monday, May 30, 2011

The McLaughlin Wedding Trilogy

My brother and sisters got engaged within a few months of each other.  This resulted in the McLaughlin Wedding Trilogy – three family weddings in one year.  Despite their very different locations (an art institute in Indianapolis, a beach in San Diego, a courtyard in Mackinac Island), there were many similarities.  Each wedding shared a beautiful bride and groom, a beaming father of the bride, a teary-eyed mother of the groom, adorable flower girls and ringbearer (my children), a devoted group of fans, planned surprises (like a musical toast and an A Capella singing group), unplanned surprises (including a tardy band, misplaced flowers & wedding dress snafu), good music (from Motown to Rap) and a crowded dance floor.  Though stressful at times, it was an unexpected blessing to have a year of three celebratory family events (six if you count my father’s retirement party, his 65th birthday party, and my brother’s business school graduation).  It’s been an amazing 12 months for the McLaughlin family.
In honor of the completion of the wedding trilogy this weekend, I thought I would highlight my favorite memory of each wedding.
-    The father/daughter dance at my baby sister’s wedding.  When Meri was a toddler, she contracted spinal meningitis and nearly died.  After several weeks in the hospital, she came home with a warning from her doctor that she might not fully recover to play sports.  And then she became the family gymnast.  My father turned our sunroom into her personal gym.  The most memorable part of her wedding was the tribute he gave to her in his toast.  He admitted to the groom that he may have spoiled her a little because of her shaky start in life.  This was followed by a very loving father/daughter dance during which, I swear,  I caught a glimpse of Meri as a little girl dancing in my father’s arms in our living room on Sargent Road.
-     The photo slide show at my sister Wendy’s wedding.  Wendy and Paul got married less than two years after they started dating.  Wendy was truly a blushing bride and Paul, a doting groom.  I’ve never seen a couple more in love on their wedding day.  At times, they seemed not to notice anyone else in the room.  At their reception, the photographer had compiled a slide show of photos from the wedding ceremony and post-ceremony photo session that played on a continuous reel in the bar.  You could see their sheer bliss at being married in every photo.


-     The bride and groom's first dance at my brother’s wedding.  Like all of the McLaughlins, my brother loves to dance.  I have videos of him as a young boy lip syncing to Michael Jackson with his own choreography (including his almost-famous chair jumps).  I knew his wife, Anissa, was his soul mate the first time I saw her hit the dance floor with Mike.  She shares his rhythm, for better or for worse.  His wedding would not have been complete without a momentous first dance.  His wedding guests were not disappointed.  Rather than describe it, I’ve decided to post it (with help from my brother-in-law Scott).  It starts off a little slow, but then Mike channels his inner Michael Jackson.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89UY0WY52c
The Adorable Flower Girls & Ringbearer

Mike & Anissa - The Dancing King & Queen

Celebrating my wedding with my brother & sisters nearly a decade ago...



Scott & Meri At Their Beach Wedding 

2 comments: