Something to Dwell Upon

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Golden Arches

When I picked up the kids from school last Wednesday, I suggested we go to McDonald’s for dinner since I had a volunteer event that night and my husband was stuck at work.  A symphony of praise erupted from the back of my minivan. 
“Woo hoo!  You’re the best mom ever!” yelled my 6 year old.
“I love you mom!” squealed my 8 year old.
“I’m so lucky,” said my 2 year old.
These reactions are probably pretty similar to what my mom would have heard from my sister, brother and I thirty years ago.  It’s amazing how a quick trip to McDonald’s is such a big treat for the family.  Every summer when I was little, we would meet my grandmother at the McDonald’s in Greencastle, Indiana, which was halfway between where we lived and where she lived.  We would stuff our faces with French fries, plain cheeseburgers and a nice cold Coca Cola as we looked out the window to see her car pull into the parking lot.  Once she arrived, there was much to discuss in the restaurant’s vinyl booths like what we wanted to do while staying with her (swimming at the Elks Club, going to a movie, visiting the circus, shopping at the mall).  The happy meal boxes would entertain us with jokes, mazes and little toys during the remainder of the drive to her house, the same way they keep my own children busy when we’re on a road trip.  Despite the fact that the menu has had some healthy additions like apple dippers, salad and fruit plates, my kids still prefer the things that I liked to order – plain cheeseburgers, chicken Mcnuggets, French fries and ice cream sundaes (at least I don’t let them order Coca Cola).  I’ve now upgraded to a Quarter Pounder with cheese, but skip the fries. 
I haven’t watched Fast Food Nation or Super Size Me.  I know that I should in an effort to provide a healthier lifestyle for my family, but friends told me that I’ll never want to eat fast food again.  And the kids would be devastated if they didn’t get to visit those golden arches a couple of times a month (it really has nothing to do with my emotional attachment to the restaurant).  So I think we’ll just go on a family bike ride after our next visit to McDonald’s because I don’t see how it would be possible to eliminate those special trips to Mickey D’s.
Still having fun in the vinyl booths

No comments:

Post a Comment