Something to Dwell Upon

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Quest for a Christmas Card Photo

Every year around Columbus Day, I start to panic about the family Christmas card photo.  One of my favorite parts about the holidays is going out to my mailbox in December and finding a stack of Christmas cards.  I love seeing other people's family photos, dressed-up dogs, holiday drawings and yes, even their newsletters.  I know that I must give to receive, and to give I must capture a picture that motivates me to create a card, have it printed, and send out my mailing. 
Unfortunately, the task is not an easy one for several reasons.  Number one, I'm not a skilled photographer.  Every few years, a camera makes it onto my Christmas list because the one I have doesn't take great pictures (hmn, I wonder why).  Number two, my subject matter is not compliant.  My three young kids don't sit and smile on command, despite my effort to chant words that I think will make them laugh.  Number three, I usually don't have the time or attention span to coordinate outfits, make sure everyone's hair is brushed back and corale them in front of a good backdrop for pictures.  Call it lazy if you want. 
This year, we spent the long weekend for Columbus Day at Mohonk Mountain House.  With its breathtaking lake and hills, I thought it would make a great backdrop for our family Christmas photo.  In between activities like horseback riding, fishing, hiking and dining, I organized family photo opportunities.  The kids were sick of posing by our second day.  I took over a hundred photos of the trip.  Though there was no clear winner, I am going to use my creativity to make one of the photos I took work for the card.  Here are some of the less-than-winning photos that did not make the cut.


Where's Caroline?

Quit pulling your brother's hair.


Eyes opened, not closed!


 Look at the camera!

Saying Gaga (my dad's nickname) doesn't lend itself to a nice smile.


Just one good shot, please???


 

No comments:

Post a Comment